Pumpkin/Gunga Pea Soup Ital Recipe
A wonderful, healthful choice when feeding a crowd Jamaican cuisine.
Start a large pan of water, 1/2 full to boil on the stove or fire then add in order:
- 3 carrots cut small
- 1/2 pint of fresh or dried gunga peas (may substitute with split peas or lentils
- 4 small cloves garlic
- 1/2 # pumpkin, cubed in 1/2" cubes
- 1 peeled cho-cho, cubed
- 1/2 # round dumplings
- 2 cocoa cut in larger chunks
- 1 irish potato
- 1 sweet potato
- 2# white yam cut in 1/2" slices
Boil this together until the yam is cooked, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the juice from one hard coconut: Grate a coconut fine, add water enough to cover the coconut by about 1". Squeeze the coconut and work it to extract the strong coconut juice. Strain out the coconut particles through a strainer, leaving the coconut juice. (You can feed the left over coconut to the dogs.) Set the coconut juice aside.
When yam is cooked, add:
- 2 stalks of scallions, chopped
- Several sprigs of thyme-whole (remove after cooking)
- 1 seeded scotch bonnet pepper (keep tasting for how much hot flavor you like and remove the pepper when it is just right to your taste)
- Strained coconut juice
- Salt to taste (or can use Maggie's Chicken Soup seasoning)
Cool to serving temperature and serve in a calabash bowl.